Not everyone can take the California contractors license exam. You must have four years of experience in your trade. (See Classifications for the trade classifications available) This experience must be within the last ten years. This experience can be engaging in or supervising the trade. The State will accept self-employed experience, even if it was in California without a license. If you don’t have the full four years required, college or trade school can count up to three years toward the four required. Call one of our service representatives for further details on schooling credit.